Heyyyy America! How’s it going?
I am currently in an internet cafe in Kaifeng. I arrived here on August 22nd at around 7:30 PM. The first night was largely uneventful. The truth of the matter is that I have typed up a large blog entry, but I didn’t go to the trouble of transfering it to a USB stick to bring with me to this internet cafe (I wasn’t sure if my blog would be censored by the Chinese government. I must maintain neutrality in the affairs of the Chinese state). As I don’t really feel like re-typing all of my experiences in China over the past few days (and there have been many already) I will cut this blog a little short and sum up my life in a few short sentences.
- The other teachers from Beloit are spectacular. I think that this year with them will be a really good time.
- I am bursting with an incredibly strong desire to begin my study of the Chinese language. There are so many great opportunities to begin learning and I feel like I will be taking advantage of them all the time.
- Chinese traffic laws are non-existant.
- Beer is really cheap (and so is almost everything else).
- I am loving this adventure.
I don’t have internet in my apartment yet. Our main-man Jackie Chan is trying to hook us up, but it may take until September 6th to get things really rolling. I promise that I will come back down here again in the next few days with a decent sized update about my Chinese life. Until then, know that I am safe, having a good time, and living life to the fullest.